group of rapists and date rapists who were serving prison terms were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim. Here are some frightening revelations. Keep in mind that these tips are regarding rape cases that are caused by strangers. Because as we know the majority of rapists already know the victim, but they do not have to.
1. The first thing men look for in a potential victim is the hairstyle. They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyles that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets.
2. The second thing men look for is clothing. They will look for women who’s clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3. They also look for women on their cell phone, searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4. Men are most likely to attack and rape in the early morning, between 5: 00a.m. and 8:30a.m.
5. The number one place women are abducted from or attacked is a grocery store parking lot. The number two is office parking lots and garages. Number three is public restrooms.
6. These men are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don’t have to worry about getting caught.
7. Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.
8. Putting up a fight discourages the rapist because going after you will be too time-consuming.
9. They will not pick women carrying umbrellas or similar objects that can be used against them. Keys are NOT a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon.
Some good defense mechanisms:
1. If someone is following behind you on a street, a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like “what time is it?”, or make general small talk: “I can’t believe it is so cold out here. We’re in for a bad winter.” Now you’ve seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target.
2. If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell “stop” or “stay back”. Most rapists would leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. They are looking for an EASY target.
3. If you carry pepper spray, yell “I have pepper spray”. Holding it out will be a deterrent.
4. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker very hard either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) or in the upper inner thigh. Try pinching yourself in those places and feel how much it hurts.
5. After the initial hit, always go for the groin. You might be afraid that you’ll anger him and make him want to hurt you, but these rapists said that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he’s out of there.
6. If he approaches you with his hands toward to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible and exert as much pressure as you can pushing down on them. You can be sure it will hurt.
7. Always be aware of your surroundings. Avoid being alone in quiet areas and if you see any suspicious behavior, don’t dismiss it. Go with your instincts!
You may feel a little silly at the time, but you’d feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
Tip from Tae Kwon Do:
The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
From a Tourist Guide in New Orleans:
If a robber asks for your wallet and or purse, do not hand it to him. Toss it away from you … chances are that he is more interested in your wallet or purse than you. Run like mad in the other direction.
Around Your Car:
1. If you are thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights, stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
2. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, or working and just sit doing their checkbook, or making a list. A predator might be watching. Here is a perfect opportunity for him to get in and put a gun to your head. Don’t take that chance. As soon as you get in the car, lock the doors and leave.
3. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head do not drive off. Instead, gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your airbag will save you. If the person is in the back seat, he will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run.
In a parking lot or parking garage:
1. Be aware: Look around you, into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
2. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
3. Look at the car parked on the driver’s side and the passenger side of your vehicle. If a man is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall or work and get a guard or policeman to escort you.
It is always better to be safe, paranoid than dead.
More helpful tips:
1. Always take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the “perfect” crime spot, especially at night!
2. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, run…preferably in a zigzag pattern. The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely will not be a vital organ.
3. Rapists prey on a woman’s sympathy. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man who played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and asked “for help” into his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
A Final Scary Trick Rapists Have Used:
A woman heard a crying baby on her porch and called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her “Whatever you do, do not open the door.” The woman became worried as it sounded like the baby was near her window. Then she became concerned that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The police firmly said, “We have a unit on the way, do not open the door.” Apparently, the police had received reports of a serial killer who has a baby’s cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby.